The Quit Binge Eating Podcast. Show number seven. Interview with psychotherapist Andrew Walen.
Introduction & Updates
- This is a long interview so keeping the updates short
- Due to holiday schedule, projects and some travel will not be able to release a show next week. Still planning to release a show on Thursday, January 10th. Keep a watch out then!
- If need a QBE fix to tide you over then I suggest signing up for my free QBE newsletter and email list at http://QuitBingeEating.com/newsletter
Feature: Interview with Andrew Walen
Andrew Walen is a practicing psychotherapist who himself has suffered from Binge Eating Disorder. Andrew was born and raised in Baltimore, Maryland. He completed his bachelors degree in music from Berklee College of Music in Boston and moved to Nashville, Tennessee in 1996. After several years in the music scene he returned to school and earned his masters in social work from the University of Tennessee. He then moved back to Baltimore in 2007 and created The Body Image Therapy Center specializing in eating disorders, compulsive eating, body image, and preparation and aftercare for bariatric surgery patients.
I first heard about Andrew this summer when I saw his interview on the Today Show. On the show he was talking about Binge Eating Disorder in men and the unique challenges men had who suffered from the disorder. Andrew was also profiled in the New York Times by Abby Ellin in her article “Binge Eating Among Men Steps Out of the Shadows.”
Andrew’s going public with his own binge eating disorder helped me make the decision to also start this QBE blog and podcast. He has helped shine the light on male binge eaters and the unique challenges they have as well.
Listen to the podcast to hear the rest of our conversation.
Links to Andrew’s Music
All proceeds will go to a fund established by Andrew Walen to help others who have eating disorders but who also need financial assistance to do so.
- http://www.spotify.com — install app and search for “Andrew Walen”
We Want Your Feedback!
- Quit Binge Eating Feedback – We want your feedback, stories, notes, wishes and requests.
- Open in iTunes | iTunes Podcast Page – Please rate us and give us a short review!
- Direct Podcast Feed
- Sign up for our Newsletter. Form is there on the right side of the page or click here!
Legal and Disclaimers
- The Quit Binge Eating Podcast is produced and recorded by Alen Standish. All rights are reserved. If you want to use part of this show elsewhere then please submit your request at QuitBingeEating.com/feedback.
- The host of the Quit Binge Eating podcast is not a doctor or a trained eating disorder specialist and can’t offer personal counseling or medical advice. The opinions and advice of this podcast, website, newsletter or anything or anyone else heard here are based on personal experiences and are not intended to replace the services of trained health professionals.
- Music was provided by Broke for Free at brokeforfree.com. Tracks include Blown Out from their Leaf album and Something Elated from their Something album.